How to get Cyber Security Job- Cyber security can be defined as “the body of technologies, processes and practices designed to protect networks, computers, programs and data from attack, damage or unauthorised access.” There are various types of cyber security jobs and positions such as Chief Infosec Officer, Cryptographer and forensics expert to name a few. If you’re someone who has always dreamt of getting a Cyber Security job, here are 9 steps that you need to follow. These are recommended by cyber security experts.
- Stay abreast of the latest trends in cyber security: In order to enter the world of cyber security, you need to be aware of the latest trends and happenings in the field. It would be useful to read cyber security stories online. Slashdot is an online source for news about devices, brand and consumer trends and cyber security policy. You could also subscribe to the weekly newsletter to get regular updates on the latest happenings in cyber security. The Register is another useful resource for stories on cyber security related to data security, business, science and emergent technology.
- Keep practising your skills regularly: Capture the Flag (CTF) games are interesting ways in which you could practice your cyber security skills. Most of these games require the use of skills such as cryptography, computer forensics, hacking, reverse engineering, decryption, etc. These games are easily available online and you can easily master these skills without spending too much money.
- Master the basic skills at home: In order to become a computer security expert, you will need to know the basic skills. You could easily learn these skills at home with the help of an additional computer. You would then need to install Linux, BSD, Qubes OS and other Operating Systems on the second computer. You would also need to install security systems and take permission to monitor the networks that you could connect to. It would also be nice to form a club or group of cyber expert enthusiasts and master the skills together.
- Programming skills: Programming is an important skill that you need to master in order to become a cyber security expert. Some programming languages that you will have to learn to include Python, C, C++, etc. The internet has plenty of free resources that will help you learn to program in a step by step method.
- Connecting with other cyber security professionals: As mentioned earlier, it is highly recommended that you join a club, society or group specially formed for cyber security experts. Not only will you get a fair idea of the latest trends and happenings in the field, but you would also be able to know about various cyber security careers from experts.
- The importance of ethics in cyber security: There is a fine line between cyber security and cyber crime. Given the highly sensitive nature of your task, make sure to uphold values like confidentiality and integrity. Pay special attention to what you post on social media and make sure that you don’t cross the boundary any time.
- Interdisciplinary field: Cyber Security is an interdisciplinary field and is not just restricted to technology and programming. Hence, knowledge of psychology, economics and data science will help you in your journey towards becoming the best cyber security professional in 2017.
- Books on cyber security: Ultimately, there is no easy way out to becoming an excellent cyber security professional. In addition to reading material on the latest trends and happenings in the field, it would be really helpful to read some really good books on cyber security.
One of these is “Cybernetics: or Control and Communication in the Animal and the Machine” by Norbert Wiener. This book explains some of the concepts in cybernetics and how they are applied to the control of devices. It would be particularly useful to refer to this book and treasure it as a useful guide.
- Masters in Cyber Security: In addition to practical knowledge and understanding of latest trends and happenings in the field, it would be advisable to pursue a master’s program in cyber security if you are seriously thinking of building your career in this field. The University of Warwick offers a Masters in Cyber Security. Many online courses are also available. However, make sure that these courses are accredited before you join into one.