American University or AU is a private research university and it is located in the nation’s capital i.e. Washington, D.C. American University is creating a meaningful; change in the world. As the university is located in Washington, D.C. it has an added advantage and offers students many opportunities to work with the professions in their field. It helps them to advance their careers in their area of interests. Its students are known to be country’s most active in politics, service, and leadership. They are trained to think globally and meet domestic challenges with the out-of-box solutions. American University is known to produce many notable alumni like Judge Judy Scheindlin, filmmaker Barry Levinson & the “real Wolf of Wall Street” Jordan Belfort.
American University has 7 Schools which include the following:
- College of Arts & Sciences
- Kogod School of Business
- School of Communication
- School of International Service
- School of Public Affairs
- Washington College of Law
- School of Professional & Extended Studies
American University Admission
- American University is an extremely selective institute. As per the data and records, the Undergraduate American University Acceptance Rate is 45.8%. Last year around 15,119 students applied for the different programs and out of that 6,931 students was offered admissions while only 1,787 decided to get enrolled
- The average top SAT scores required are 1870.
- It is highly competitive and requires mostly 3.75 or above GPA in High School.
American University Application Procedure
The International students applying for undergraduate programs as freshmen need to follow the below procedure:
- First and foremost, Complete the Common Application (including the application essay)
- Transmit your test results.
- Ask a school official to complete the Secondary School Report and letters of recommendation.
- Pay the nonrefundable application fee.
- Send your application materials.
- Send your Mid-Year Report.
Fees & Scholarships
- The Tuition fees is $41,875 which is on expensive side
- As high as 71% grants are allocated to the freshmen
- The retention rate is high i.e. 90%
- 95 undergraduate programs to select from
- Most popular majors:
– International Relations and Affairs
– Political Science and Government
– Business Administration and Management
2017 American University Ranking
As per the US NEWS ranking, the American University is ranked 74 in National Universities with a tie. The Ranking is given to different schools by evaluating the performance of the schools across a set of different indicators of excellence. The ranking as per different parameters is given below:
- #74 (tie) in National Universities
- #44 (tie) in Best Colleges for Veterans
- #66 in Best Value Schools
- #56 (tie) in High School Counsellor Rankings
- #77 (tie) in Business Programs
If you are planning to go for a program in International Relations and Affairs, Political Science and Government or Business Administration and Management, American University is a good choice but difficult to get in. If you need more information about American University, please contact us. You can bookmark our page to get the latest updates.