Studying abroad has now become an easier process than ever before but before moving abroad you have to clear few exams for study abroad courses. Thousands of aspirants migrate to various parts of the world every year to complete their studies. Foreign Universities are always known for their quality of education and facilities, which attracts students from all over the world. The world is like a global village, with technology one can connect with anyone from any corner of the globe.
This global study abroad plan has opened to every student from all academic backgrounds and interests. But there are still certain preset academic standards that need to be met in order to gain admission to a university or college abroad. These standards can be met by clearing various competitive international entrance exams for study abroad courses. You can also win scholarships or financial aid if perform well in these exams.
In such ways, Indian students who aspire to study abroad have a wide variety of opportunities in front of them. Some of the most common and popular exams that will help you to study abroad – SAT, MCAT, LSAT, GMAT, GRE, IELTS, and TOEFL. These are some general exams that are necessary for admission to foreign universities or colleges. Let’s go in detail for each exam to give for which courses.
How to get admission in a foreign university for pursuing Post-Graduation?
If you’re planning to study abroad, the admission process will require you to give language exams for study abroad courses and one standardized exam. At times, there may be a combination of one or more of the tests but it completely depends on that country and its education system. Depending on the country, course, college, or university, you may exempt from standardized exams, but you have to take at least one language exam to show your English Language proficiency.
Looking for Abroad Counseling? Get FREE Counseling session (Telephonic/In-person) from our experts https://www.meetuniversity.com/ask-expert.
Also, get experienced assistance throughout your application process which includes study abroad language programs like IELTS and TOEFL and aptitude exams like GRE and GMAT.
Exams to Study Abroad
- Language exams – There are various language exams for study abroad courses that are a must to get admission to these foreign universities. These exams are conducted to test your English Language proficiency skills. One needs to give either the language exams to get admission to any university in an English speaking country. These exams are needed for pursuing almost all courses- Undergraduate courses, Postgraduate courses, Certificates, or Diplomas (unless mentioned).
Few top English Language Exams:
- IELTS – International English Language Testing System exam is conducted for getting admission in the UK, Australia, and New Zealand and is valid for two years. This exam is owned, developed, and organized through a partnership of British Council – IDP: IELTS Australia and the University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations.
- TOEFL – The Test of English as a Foreign Language is very popular exams preferred in the US and Canada, while accepted in many colleges of the UK, Australia, and other countries too. Your TOEFL scores are valid until two years after the declaration of your result.
- PTE – Pearson Test of English exams is accepted at a few colleges in the US and most colleges in the UK. Further, PTE Academic scores are valid for up to two years from the date of the exam. Also, the program is a bit different from others, as it is fully computerized and results are out within 5 days after the exams.
These three are the main English Language tests for students who wish to study abroad after graduation, after 12th, or after 10th. The main motive of these exams for study abroad courses are to check the language proficiency of non-native speakers who wish to immigrate to an English-speaking country for work.
- Standardized Entrance Exams – Apart from Language exams, there are various standardized entrance exams for study abroad courses that one has to give to study abroad. These exams are required for studying various courses. Depending on the course of your choice, your standardized exam also changes. You will be required to give only one standardized exam for abroad education. Like, if you want to pursue an MBA abroad, then you’ll have to give exams for MBA abroad.
Here is a table describing exam requirements according to the course of your choice:
|Course / Programs||Standardized Tests||
Preferred English Language Tests on the Country basis
|Undergraduate||SAT or ACT||· TOEFL for US, Canada· IELTS or PTE for UK, Australia, New Zealand· CELPIP for Canada· CAE or CPE for UK|
|MBA||GMAT or GRE||· TOEFL for US, Canada· IELTS or PTE for UK, Australia, New Zealand· CELPIP for Canada· CAE or CPE for UK|
|MS||GRE||· TOEFL for US, Canada· IELTS or PTE for UK, Australia, New Zealand· CELPIP for Canada· CAE or CPE for UK|
|Certificate and Diploma||–||· OEFL for US, Canada· IELTS or PTE for UK, Australia, New Zealand· CELPIP for Canada· CAE or CPE for UK|
- SAT – Scholastic Assessment Test is a globally recognized college admission test to evaluate the written, verbal, and mathematical skills of candidates. This exam is accepted particularly in the US and Canada, and also in some universities in the UK.
- ACT – American College Testing is a test for undergraduate degrees in US universities and colleges. It has been conducted to evaluate the written, mathematical, verbal, and scientific skills of the candidates.
- GMAT – Graduate Management Admission Test is the number1 test for MBA aspirants looking to study at foreign universities. It is a compulsory part of the admission process of more than 21,000 universities/colleges which is applicable in 114 countries. Average GMAT scores are in the range of 570-580 and for top schools, a score of at least 700 is needed.
- GREE – Graduate Record Examinations is another popular choice if you wish to study in the USA, Canada, and various graduate and business schools around the world. Many appear for this exam, especially in the USA, to pursue a Master of Science (MS) or MBA are required to take the exam.
- MCAT – Medical College Admission Test exams are important to apply in medicine in nearly all medical schools in the USA, Canada, and 18 other countries.
- LSAT – The Law School Admission Test is administered by the Law School Admission Council for students who wish to pursue a career in law in the USA, Australia, and Canada.
- Exams to Study abroad after 10th and 12th – There are various exams one can give after 10th if he/she is planning to study abroad. However, it is always better to go abroad after completing your school education, which is your higher secondary education or after choosing a particular stream. The students who have passed out their 12th standard have the option to give various entrance exams for studying abroad. SAT, ACT, GRE, TOEFL, and IELTS are some of the important standardized tests which students can give for going to study abroad.
- Exams for Scholarships – As we all know now that GRE, GMAT, IELTS, TOEFL, SAT, and ACT- are the most popular and important entrance exams to study abroad. But if you score really well in these international competitive exams, you can also receive student’s financial aid in the form of scholarships. Various colleges and universities consider the performance of the students for giving scholarships, grants, or bursaries at the time of admission.