How do you get an Australian student visa for study?

You have decided which course to study, in which Australian university, and you have calculated all the costs involved. All you need to check now is how to get a student visa and what are the requirements. After all, you can’t study in Australia as an international student without an Australian student visa! (Although this does depend on the duration you plan to study for. For workplace-based training courses, you can use a training visa.  Use the Department of Home Affair’s visa finder to find which type of visa you need.)

Student Visa (subclass 500) – is the Australian student visa you need, to study full time. You can also bring family members with you. That is your partner or your partner’s dependent child, if the child is unmarried and less than 18 years.  Of course, there are health and other requirements they would need to fulfil. Additionally, if you are the guardian of an international student under the age of 18, you can apply for the Student Guardian Visa.

What will it cost you?

The Australian student visa will cost you AUD 575. (Note 1 AUD = 0.71 US Dollars). If you do choose to bring all a family member, there will be extra charges too. (Use the pricing estimator to figure out the approximate cost.)

How do you apply for the visa?

You can apply through the Department of Home Affairs. To do this, you will need to make an account online with them. This account is called the ImmiAccount.

You can lodge a paper visa application too.  Do check with the university you have chosen, to find out if they have any requirement such as having to apply via a qualified agent.

What do you need to make an application for the visa?

You need a CoE. Yes, it stands for Confirmation of Enrollment. This you shall receive from your institution. It’s also called Letter of Offer by some universities.

You also need a health insurance. For the Australian student visa this must be the OSHC (Overseas Student Health Cover). This might be exempt if you are from some countries though, like Norway, so do verify that, with the official websites.

Other documents that you would need include an evidence of sufficient funds, a criminal record check results (this one’s quite obvious I think), parental consent (if you are under the age of 18 and your guardian isn’t coming along with you) and a document stating that you are planning to stay only temporarily which you can back up with sufficient evidence.

Of course, there might be other documents too, specific to you. For example, if you have been employed before, you would need to also provide your CV and pay slips.

Depending on where you are from you might have an interview as well. Such information will be available on your visa application page so do read it thoroughly.

Best of luck with everything!