In today’s time, it is really important for students to have knowledge regarding the conversion of CGPA to a percentage as there is some institution that asks for CGPA, while on the other hand there are some institutions that ask percentages. For those who are trying to convert CGPA to the percentage for the first time, it can be a bit difficult. So, we are here to provide you all the knowledge regarding the conversion of CGPA to percentage.
What is CGPA?
CGPA (Cumulative Grade Point Average) is the average marks, which are obtained by a student by combining the marks of all the subjects excluding the additional subject. In 2017, the Central Board of Secondary Education of India announced that the 10th board results will be in the form of CGPA and the 12th board results will be in the form of a percentage.
How to convert CGPA to a percentage?
To convert CGPA to a percentage, there is a simple formula. We just need to multiply our CGPA with 9.5 and we will get the percentage. This method is given by CBSE.
For Example – Your CGPA is 9.5, then your percentage will be 9.2*9.5 = 87.4%
Procedure to Convert CGPA to Percentage
1. First, add up the grade points (GP) of all 5 subjects.
2. For Example – the GP for subject 1 is 8, GP for subject 2 is 7, the GP for subject 3 is 9, the GP for subject 4 is 8 and the GP for subject 5 is 10.
3. Now, after adding up GP of all the subjects, we get 8+ 7+ 9+ 8+ 10 = 42.
4. After adding all the grade points, divide the total grade points by the number of subjects.
5. Now, the CGPA of 5 subjects is 42/5 = 8.4.
6. After finding out the CGPA, multiply it with 9.5. This will convert CGPA to percentage.
7. After multiplying 8.4*9.5, we will get 79.8%.
8. This formula is given by CBSE to convert grades into percentages. It is only an approximation and not exact.
9. Multiplying the CGPA with 9.5 is set after observing the last five-year result.
10. The average comes out to be close to 95 marks. Since the equivalent Grade Point for the 91-100 band (A1 grade) of marks is 10, it then divided the average result of 95 by 10. The result is 9.5.
Converting CGPA to Percentage on 10 Point Scale
It is not really difficult to convert CGPA to percentage on a 10-point scale. We just have to do some easy calculations. Suppose in 100 mark paper the highest marks is 90, then 90 marks will be 100%. If a student scores 80 marks, then the CGPA of the student will be 100/90*80 = 88.89 on a scale of 10, it’s 8.9.
1. To calculate the average marks, CBSE took the result of the last 5 years, who scored between 91 and 100.
2. That average came out to be close to 95 marks.
3. The equivalent Grade Point for the 91-100 band of marks is 10, it then divided the average result of 95 by 10. The result came at 9.5.
4. Now to convert CGPA to Percentage in 10 Point Scale add the grade points of all 5 subjects.
5. Adding all the subject marks (9+ 10 + 8 + 7 + 8 = 42)
6. After adding all the grade points, divide the total grade points by a number of subjects. (42/5 = 8.4)
7. After finding the CGPA, multiply it with 9.5.
8. This will convert CGPA to percentage.
9. Multiplying 8.4 x 9.5, we will get 79.8%.
10. This formula is given by CBSE to convert grades into percentages. It is only an approximation and not exact.
How to Covert Percentage to CGPA?
Now, that we know how to convert CGPA to a percentage, therefore, we can easily figure out how to convert the percentage to CGPA. Some students trying to convert percentages to CGPA but find it difficult to calculate for the first time. So, we will tell you about how to convert percentages to CGPA.
To convert the percentage to CGPA, divide your percentage by 9.5 and you will get your CGPA.
For Example – your overall percentage is 85% and you need to convert it into CGPA and you need to convert it into CGPA. Just divide your percentage by 9.5 i.e. 85/9.5 = 8.9. Therefore, your CGPA is 8.9.