The United Kingdom has been home to some of the most popular, reputed degrees and study programs in the world when it comes to the pursuit of higher studies, History has surely played a “Great” role, behind the legacy of these degrees, based in Great Britain. British universities are known for their old tradition of assembling young, bright minds into prepared future professionals. With coming up of modern technology and facilities, these universities are able to maintain this process of excellence, along with cutting edge research, world-class academics and their teaching activities (of thinking and working out of the box).
Half-a-million international students come to the UK, looking at many influential personalities, coming from different spheres of the professional world, holding a British university degree, and hence try to seek one. Although British universities offer all kinds of degrees and courses, catering a wide spectrum of job opportunities, statistics show particular degree courses, enjoying higher global popularity amongst aspiring students. These broad subjects are:
- Natural Sciences.
- Engineering and Technology.
- Social Sciences.
- Sports Science.
- Media and Communication.
- Hospitality and Tourism.
Let’s focus at particular degrees, popular amongst students, aiming for holding a degree in the broad subjects mentioned above:
1. BUSINESS: Business based degree-courses top the list of the UK’s’ most in-demand degrees. The long and rich tradition in educating exceptional future business professionals helps British Business schools to enjoy an international profile. As of 2016-17, the official statistics believe that 121,675 international students were attending a Business & Administrative course, making it the largest group of foreign students in the UK.
The most popular UK degrees in Business are:
- Business Administration.
- Banking and Finance.
- International Management.
- Finance and Management.
- International Business.
- Business Analytics.
2. NATURAL SCIENCE: Biology studies remain the most popular courses among natural sciences. During 2016-17 official education statistics believes that 23,395 international students were seeking a biological sciences degree. In addition, Mathematics courses are quite in-demand among international students. Coming back again to the 2016-17 data, 9,715 international students were attending a mathematical studies course.
The most popular British degrees in Natural Sciences are:
- Computer Science.
- Earth Science.
- Marine Biology.
- Physics & Astronomy.
3. ENGINEERING AND TECHNOLOGY: A subject, whose high demand goes hand-in-hand along with Natural Sciences in all parts of India, is engineering and technology. The UK is home to some of the best technological and engineering schools around the globe, thanks to study programs that are highly research-based aiming to equip students with the skills and knowledge demanded in the job market. Countless engineering companies are located in the UK and these universities run a lot of partnerships with these organizations to offer internships and job opportunities to the students. The latest official statistics showcase the arrival of 52,545 international students, studying for an Engineering degree during 2016-17 in UK universities.
The popular degrees in Engineering in UK universities:
- Aeronautics Engineering
- Chemical Engineering.
- Civil and Environmental Engineering.
- Electronic Engineering.
- Mechanical Engineering.
Information technology’s demand is on the rise, as the UK is transferring into a world leader in IT education and advanced degree programs for software engineering and computer science, attracting aspiring IT professionals.
4. MEDICINE: From the variety of courses to the exceptional quality of education and consequently the future prospects it promises, the UK is a popular destination, when it comes to pursuing a medical degree. The benefits are plenty, regardless of what medical course you choose to attend in the UK. With a medical degree in your hand, you’re open to a wide range of job options like a surgeon, cardiologist, psychiatrist, pathologist etc.
Focusing on the official statistics of 2016-17, 10,500 international students were attending a medicine or dentistry course, while 21,455 were pursuing a degree in a subject allied to medicine.
Out of all medical degrees offered in Great Britain, these are the most popular ones:
- Medical Biotechnology.
- Molecular Medicine.
- Veterinary Surgery.
5. LAW: Universities in the United Kingdom are among the oldest universities that offer law courses, for generations. Upon this long and rich tradition, UK law degrees have become highly competitive for international students (as popularity is an understatement to explain this scenario).
23,090 foreign students were attending a law course in the UK, according to the academic year statistics of 2016-17
The most popular law degrees at UK universities are:
- Bachelor of Law.
- Civil Law.
- Criminology and Law.
- Criminal Justice.
- International Human Rights Law.
- Master of Laws
6. SOCIAL SCIENCES: Social sciences courses offered in the UK are highly sought-after. They are highly valued for the quality of education carried out by professional academic staff and modern educational facilities. Ambitious students from every possible corner of the world drift towards these British universities, waiting to attend a world-class education, helping them to gain an outstanding knowledge in a wide variety of social subjects.
As of 2016-17, the latest official statistics showcase the presence of 42,170 international students attending a course about social sciences in Britain.
Although UK universities offer a lot of social sciences courses, the following ones are the best and most popular social science courses:
- Political Science.
7. SPORTS SCIENCE: Sports Science is becoming a popular study field and its practitioners are highly in-demand professionals because the need for experts who would help athletes improve their performance and taking care about their health at the same time is steadily increasing. Fortunately, the UK offers a lot of options for those students willing to get a degree in this field study.
In regard to enrolment trends and future prospects, here are the most popular Sports Science degrees in the UK
- Sports and Exercise Sciences.
- Sports Science and Physiology.
- Sport & Exercise Nutrition.
8. MEDIA AND MASS COMMUNICATION: The kingdom of Great Britain is a hub for media and communication, attracting passionate students from every corner of the world, as well as being home to several globally valued and respected film and television companies (like the BBC). A Media and Communication degree in Britain will pave the way to a wide variety of challenging careers and highly paid jobs.
The UK has schooled some of the best journalists, around the globe. Indian news-reporter Arnab Goswami is an alumnus of Oxford University.
Let us highlight the popular degrees in the UK for Media and Communication degrees:
- Digital Media
- Film & TV Studies
9. ARTS: A steady increasing popularity among talented international students is visible, when it comes to aspiring artists, as they come to the UK in pursuit of an Arts degree. Brilliant study modules and a thriving creative environment of renowned artists give the UK universities the edge of being a top preference spot. Additionally, an art degree in the UK gets you closer to numerous attractive jobs in the future.
As of 2016-17, there was a number of 30,220 international students seeking a degree in creative arts and design at various UK universities.
Let’s look at the most popular degrees in art in UK universities:
- Fine Art Painting.
- Graphic Design.
- Fashion Design.
10. HOSPITALITY AND TOURISM: As tourism is becoming a strong financial asset for many countries, good managers who would professionally deal with issues related to this economic sector, are much-coveted in the job market. Although it’s not as popular as other traditional degrees (as we mentioned above), the sector of Hospitality and Tourism study programs are attracting a large number of international students, gaining popularity on a steady level.
In the UK, these are the most popular degrees in the line of Hospitality and Tourism:
- Hospitality and Tourism Marketing.
- International Hospitality and Tourism Management.
Furthermore, you can apply for courses discipline wise as given below:
- Arts, Design & Architecture
- Applied Sciences & Professions
- Business & Management
- Computer Science & IT
- Education & Training
- Engineering & Technology
- Environmental Studies & Earth Sciences